Jigs Gaton is the CEO and founder of Phoenix Consulting and Training Worldwide, and for his entire career he has helped large organizations do better. His skill set includes large-scale Project Management, IT, Media Design & Production, and his trademark training & facilitating.
Ever since landing his first real job with IBM back in 1979, Jigs has managed large teams of professionals and helped them accomplish some amazing things:
- Known by some as the inventor of the F1 key, Jigs led his IBM team to develop one of the world’s first online help systems that included graphics, video and hypertext together.
- Again at IBM, Jigs Gaton managed the Creative Lab (an incubator for new products) where Try & Buy was hatched – the precursor to Internet retailing. This was back when software was pressed and delivered on CDs, and customers would try the software before buying by calling in using a 1-800 number – how quaint!
- While a Sr. Project Manager with the World Bank in Washington DC, Jigs led teams that developed the Image Bank and the renowned World Bank Knowledge Bank, an online archive of projects dating back to the 1944 Bretton Woods Conference.
- Now as a consultant, Jigs has trained well over a thousand participants with his Power to Plan Workshop, which is a customizable programme (usually 3-5 days long) that gets project managers up to speed using the latest in PM techniques & technology.
Ever since high school (where Jigs had access to an IBM mainframe) he’s been enamored with IT, computers and anything to do with applications that make life easier for the human race. Here are just a few of the projects he has had the opportunity to work on:
- Jigs helped incorporate a version of the IBM 7535 Robotic Arm system into the high-volume manufacture of floppy diskettes – yes, he’s that old!
- Jigs worked with the IBM team that first mixed text & graphics for output on IBM laser printers using AFP and the Print Service Facility.
- Jigs also worked worked on the IBM 4731, one of the world’s first ATM machines; there he wrote a bit of code and managed the testing department.
- Jigs was also one of the many developers who brought forth the now defunct windows-like operating system: OS/2 Warp.
Jigs Gaton has kept up well with his IT skills over the years, and can be found at any moment tinkering with a Microsoft Project Server or otherwise researching tools that will make project management tasks just a little bit easier.
Media Design & Production
Related to his IT skills, Jigs has always been involved in designing information in multimedia formats, from his patent on Object-Oriented Writing (OOW), to his founding of Phoenix Studios Nepal, he has been incessant in designing better ways to deliver information to the masses. For example:
- Jigs has helped organizations like UNICEF put reports and conference proceedings onto digital media (eDVDs).
- He has edited countless documentaries, promotions and presentations that have helped both large & small organizations explain (in simple terms) what they are about, and what they are doing.
- Jigs and the team of Phoenix Studios Nepal were the first to bring MTV-style video programming to Nepal.
- Jigs has just developed a new workshop (The Power to Persuade) for graphic designers or anyone who wants to present both persuasively and visually.
Training & Facilitation
Jigs Gaton is well-known in Asia, Africa and the UK for his workshops on Project Management, Communication Skills and Professional Management – where he has trained well over a thousand professionals in the fine art of better managing large projects using technology, and in communicating better using professional writing & editing techniques. For example:
- While working with the Empowerment Learning & Development Centre (ELD), Jigs brought MS Project software into their professional-management mix of courseware.
- While working with Adam Smith International (ASI), Jigs Gaton has trained Project Managers & Analysts on how to mind-map out large-scale projects, and then schedule the projects using Microsoft Project software.
- And just to do something completely different, Jigs can often be found holding talks in local primary schools regarding the plight of captive elephants, or how to better care for pets. (Jigs is also one of the original founders of this popular NGO in Nepal: www.animalnepal.org)
Jigs Military Service
Jigs is also a Vietnam-Era Veteran (oh so many years ago) and he served in the U.S. Army (4th Infantry Division) as a combat construction specialist – in other words, he blew things up! Now averse to loud noises and deaf in one ear, Jigs has many old war stories to tell to anyone who will listen.