The Power to Persuade Workshop is for anyone who needs to present knowledge and data in the most persuasive way possible – visually – as we well as through the proficient spoken word. This workshop is based on the best-selling book: slide:ology (The Art and Science of Creating Great Presentations) by Nancy Duarte, and the techniques taught during this workshop were used when producing Al Gore’s Oscar-winning documentary, An Inconvenient Truth.
This 3-day workshop can be delivered in-house (with specific deliverables in mind) and is also run as a public workshop. This workshop will make anyone a better public presenter and prevents death by powerpoint. In addition, those who struggle with visual or oral communication will find this an essential step towards improvement.
The Power to Persuade Workshop is for both the beginning presenter or public speaker, as well as for the most experienced, and is also of great interest to graphic designers of all skill levels.
During this workshop, participants will achieve the following:
- Explore the classic triad relationship found in persuasive storytelling (the story, the teller and the presentation)
- Practice proper storytelling in a group setting
- Learn the fundamental ABCs of visual grammar
- Design presentations using best practices (think, design, then construct)
- Use free mind-mapping tools to aid in the preparation of a persuasive presentation
- Explore how to use Microsoft Powerpoint in a way that prevents “death by powerpoint”
- Learn how to properly present in front of small or large audiences
- Deliver a newly-created presentation in front of a video camera, and then review the results
– A story is a trick for sneaking a message into the fortified citadel of the human mind –
Typical Daily Schedule
How We Deliver the Power to Persuade
The Power to Persuade Workshop can be delivered to organizations in-house, or you can sign-up individually for the next publicly-held workshop. Participants are encouraged to bring forward an idea for a presentation they know they will have to deliver, or one that currently needs improvement.
In addition, all of our workshops are participatory in nature, and allow time for experience sharing as well as a pre-flight expectation gathering. Our trainers are also skilled at gauging how the workshop is progressing and can adjust both the pace and content. Every workshop includes a comprehensive training report upon completion, that gives your management team a blow-by-blow accounting, using daily feedback results from each participant.
Workshop materials are all-digital in format, and provided to all registrants via this website (user registration required). Once your registration is confirmed, all materials can be downloaded at anytime – forever! Specifically included with this workshop:
- Workshop slides in PDF format
- Select readings from slide:ology by Nancy Duarte
- Trial or free versions of all software used
- Digital video of participant’s final presentation
- Certificate of Training (in both print and digital formats)
* Content and schedule of this workshop subject to change, and can be fully customized to meet your organization’s needs. For example: if your in-house team is mostly made up of graphic designers, we can focus more on the graphic arts, but if your team is mostly made up of managers or professional writers, we can focus more on persuasive professional written communication.